Many people have been having sound problems in ubuntu gutsy 7.10 ... I too had that problem in the beginning and after hours of trial and error i managed to get the sound work for me...
This is just one of the solutions...Depending on your problem ,solutions may vary..But there is no harm in trying this solution...Go to System->Preferences->Sound ..In the Devices tab you will find sound playback and sound capture for sound events,music and movies,audio conferencing..Mostly all of these would be set to AUTO DETECT...Now since its sound isn't working ,maybe ubuntu is not able to auto detect.. so try changing those values manually to one of the other options..The options include CS46XX,alsa,ESD,OSS etc etc...Try all of those options.. one of them should work..CS46XX worked for me...Once you select one option test the sound by clicking on the test option or playing a mp3 file...
Also don't forget to change the device in Default Mixer Tracks to a working one.. there again,trial and error!!!
Hopefully one will click for you.. just like it did for me!!

6 comments

Anonymous said... @ February 27, 2008 at 9:04 PM

I got that to work correctly. My computer will test great with sound but I have only found sound in one program (Rhythmbox music player) other than system sounds. I have tried all other audio types and I can't figure out why sound will only work with this one application.

Anonymous said... @ February 27, 2008 at 11:40 PM

Hello Anonymous,
i had that issue once,a reboot fixed it for me!!

Wayfarer said... @ March 1, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Question, how would I get this to work in Kubuntu?

Anonymous said... @ March 13, 2008 at 9:08 AM

I'm having the same problem and was directed here from ubuntuforums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4508124.

Thanks for the work-around. My tunes are back!

Any idea why this is happening and how to resolve the bigger problem?

Anonymous said... @ March 13, 2008 at 9:14 AM

probably because it doesnt support your card!!!you could hunt for linux drivers for your card on the internet.. hopefully future ubuntu versions will have better support for sound cards

Unknown said... @ March 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM

My problem is a little different. I have sound through my speakers, but am unable to mute the on-board speakers even though there is a mini-jack inserted into the headphone jack!

Post a Comment