The suspend or sleep mode plays a very important role for many of us, atleast for me as it would be a pain to re open all those windows again and get back to work , also waiting for the machine to boot up will also take up.So leaving your pc ( especially laptop) in sleep mode is a real time saver as you can get back to work ( or play :D) as soon as you open the lid of your laptop.Ubuntu doesnt have good support for suspend or sleep mode.Most of the pcs dont support this feature , something or the other happens.I've been trying to get this work for long time , tried various stuff like sudo s2ram , sudo s2disk , sudo s2both and a lot of other sudos but nothing worked.Then i gave this one last shot , this was one of the many last shots i was planning to make :D .Anyways i finally got to work by doing the following :
1)Firstly I downgraded my bios to A08 version.My laptop had the A11 version.So i downgraded to A08.I did this through windows as dell provides an easy to use exe file to downgrade your bios.Here's where you get your BIOS , i searched for the dell inspiron A08 version BIOS. So look for the A08 version BIOS for your laptop and install it through Windows as it would be an exe file.Alternatively you could do a google search for the A08 version BIOS for your machine.

2)I very rarely upgrade my ubuntu so i've been with gutsy since a long time.Havent upgraded to hardy until it is fully stable.So since i am with gutsy since such a long time i have a lot of kernels installed which shows up in the grub menu.So i have the following kernels
a)2.6.22-14
2)2.6.22-14-rt
3)2.6.22-15
3)Now i get these choices to boot with whenever i start my laptop.I have tested it with 2.6.22-15 kenel but it didnt work well.The kernel 2.6.22-14 did the trick in the end.I couldnt believe that i finally got it working in the end after so much of struggling.Now i normally suspend my laptop by clicking on the Power icon on the right hand top corner and then clicking on suspend

SUMMARY :
So the basic thing which worked for me was downgrading BIOS to A08 and then using the 2.6.22-14 kernel.If you use hardy etc and you have multiple kernels installed then you could try experimenting with all the kernels.
Hope this helps...

0 comments

Post a Comment