The previous tutorials involved having a client to control your desktop whereas in this tutorial you can remote control your ubuntu machine from the internet using your web browser.Thats right, you dont need to use any client software, this can be very helpful as it would be really messy to install software in the clients machine and then connect

Step 1 : Enable Remote Desktop in your ubuntu machine as SHOWN HERE

Step 2 : You will require Apache web server for this.CLICK HERE for instructions on how to install apache incase you dont run it.

Step 3 : You will Need to Open Port 5900 in your router.In case your modem supports Virtual Server then GO HERE otherwise GO HERE

Step 4 : Incase you have dynamic Ip address which changes everytime you reboot your router, then it would be difficult to remember your ip address everytime, an alternative to this is installing no ip client and getting a free domain.CLICK HERE to set that up

Step 5 : Download TightVnc Java Viewer From HERE

Step 6 : Extract the zip file to a folder say remotecontrol and place it in your webserver's(apache) DocumentRoot .The default DocumentRoot directory is /var/www incase you have changed it you should be knowing about it if not then follow Step 2 again.

Step 7 : Thats it , your done!!To access your computer from the internet just type http://(your free domain name)/remotecontrol and you will be asked for a password, enter your Remote Desktop password your setup in Step 1 and you should see your computer screen immediately!!!

Note : You need to have java installed in the web browser which is going to remote control the ubuntu machine for this to work!!

10 comments

Anonymous said... @ July 29, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Hi. You helped me on Ubuntu forums earlier regarding connecting to my Ubuntu computer from work. I've followed some of your tutorials but can't get it to work. This one about accessing my computer via a apache server sounds like the nices idea. when I go to http://(myaddress)/remote control it tells me "Web Server Error Report:
Server Error: 501 Not Implemented

No RPM for this combination of URL and method

/remotecontrol"

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Anonymous said... @ July 29, 2008 at 8:11 AM

hello diamonddude,
Firstly ensure that you are running the latest apache..Always better!!Then ensure that your browser supports java..also ensure you are entering the correct url /remote control and /remotecontrol makes a difference

Anonymous said... @ July 29, 2008 at 8:29 AM

All checked. But do you know what the latest apache version is? Mine is 2.2.8.

Anonymous said... @ July 30, 2008 at 4:34 AM

There seems to be some problem with your apache setup.. have you installed the whole LAMP package??
Have you tried locally or via LAN first..
For reference:http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E501.html

Anonymous said... @ August 1, 2008 at 5:38 AM

Thanks. I'll get back to you on this. Have a great weekend!

anewguy said... @ August 7, 2008 at 10:16 PM

I was trying to get this working for something yesterday, but it never fully worked. I get a grey screen box followed by the url, but I get applet not initialized as an error message. I have java installed including in to firefox.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

BTW - I unzipped the files into a folder called remotedesktop, then created a folder with the same name (as su) in /var/www, then copied all of the files and folders to it (as su).

Thanks

Anonymous said... @ August 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM

hello anewguy,
you could be having a permissions problem with your files in remotedesktop folder.Ensure that "everyone" has "read access" to it!!

Unknown said... @ March 21, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I can't get past my modem while using the host computer.

Anonymous said... @ March 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM

hello NacIK,
you have to open port 5900..You cannot use this to access your host machine from a computer which is within the same LAN.

john said... @ September 26, 2011 at 3:59 PM

This is an awesome tutorial... I know this is an old post.. but I need a bit of help.. and I am running out of ideas..

I am running ubuntu 11.04 and remote desktop is enabled. I downoaded apache2 as instructed and I have also tried the Jar vnc viewer listed as well as the new one.

The problem is... while on the lan.. the index.html page is able to acess the ubuntu server fine.

Once I try to hit the machine from the wan side it won't work.. I have port forwarded 5900 to the specific IP Etc.. I have also put the ubuntu server in the DMZ in my router as well.

However if I use the jar file on the Wan side.. and skip the apache server on the server side.. the jar on the client works just fine..

What am I missing? It seems to be in the apache2 config.. and how it relates to wan IP's..

Post a Comment